Snoozefest 'Splains BoardGames
Rules/reviews for Euro/designer games. Not a podcast, but better because: 11.This list goes to 11! 10.No witty banter! 9.Irregular shows=pleasant anticipation! 8.Commercial free! 7.I actually know about these games! 6.No miniatures/RPG crap! 5.I don't overuse crazy, wacky, exactly, awesome, & Racko! 4.It’s NOT only a game! It's how you are spending your time--so do it right! 3.You must play to WIN! But don't be an ass about it. 2.You won't hear me yell RA! 1.Scotch trumps wine.
Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Wednesday, September 21, 2005
Pickomino - Rules Summary (#10) - BGG Listing
- Just learned to play this game at That Boardgaming Thing. It's very simple. VERY simple. So why record it? Well, just 'cause! It's pretty good, but I think it lasts just a little too long. Not sure how soon I'll play it again, so it may be useful having this recording.
- Plus, I didn't have much time; I started #9 Colossal Arena, but couldn't finish it quickly enough. So I did this one first, instead. But I kept my original numbering play - CA is #9, this is #10.
- Any requests anyone? Anyone? :D
Rules: Colossal Arena
Colossal Arena: Rules Summary (#9) - BGG listing
- I've had this game for a really long time - I think I got it at GenCon '04? I remember playing it back then, at least a partial game: we were in the airport, and there were a couple of other gamers going home after the con. We played on the floor.
- Well, so I hadn't played it since. I just learned to play it again this past weekend, at That Boardgaming - thanks Rick! So I wanted to record this before I forgot again!
- Simple rules, but I think there's a good game in there. It went over well the first time we played this weekend. I tried to teach it as the very last game of the weekend, to a group of REALLY tired players - that didn't go over so well! Brian, our typically s....l....o....w player, was typically slow. This game should play quickly!
- Anyway, here it is ... a brief intro to the game. I didn't go over every power; that would be pointless (would you really remember it all?), and in any case the information is on the cards! So go try the game!
Monday, September 19, 2005
Rules: Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico: Rules Summary (#8) - BGG listing
- Another long break. Well, I've been busy and this took longer than expected.
- PR has been the #1 game on Boardgamegeek for quite a long time. Nevertheless, you still find people who haven't played it before. Part of the problem is its own success: it's so good that people end up playing it many times. Then, it's hard for a newbie to jump in because there has been so much discussion and experience with the game that many people are "experts". But it really is a very good game. I'm a bit burned out on it - I was obsessed, and played hundreds of games on BSW - but I'd still love to play it from time to time. I'm not likely to forget the rules, but I figured I could record this fairly quickly (guess I wasn't entirely correct about that!).
- In the recording, I refer to a BGG article - the Large Warehouse of Puerto Rico knowledge. It's been a long time since I've looked at the PR page; in that time, much more has been written. Paenblack put together a nice compilation of the articles, with links, here.
- Next up ... not sure. I had decided to work through some of the top-ranked games, starting with PR. But I just learned several new games in the last few days, and I'd like to get the rules for those recorded before I forget them again ... back to the original purpose of this blog! We'll just see, I guess...